Wednesday, October 04, 2006

One Tory I do like

Is Boris Johnson.

I completely agree with his views on child booster seats.

"When I was growing up we all bounced around like peas in a rattle - did it do us any harm?
"One of the great joys of being a parent is when you throw away the booster.
"Now this law, imposed on us without public consultation, is forcing police to measure our children."


Why is our generation so fixated with taking away from our children the freedoms and pleasures that we enjoyed? We all understand that certain laws are required for the protection of the public, but when it comes to our own safety it should always have the right to choose. If I don't wear a crash helmet while riding a motorcycle, then who is at risk other than myself? If I don't wear a seatbelt while driving my car, who am I harming?

Of course, the law that forces "police to measure our children" is not a British law. Just like more than half our other new laws, it originates from that foreign government which carries out it's lawmaking in secret away from public gaze and which our media do their best to avoid mentioning - unless they want to tell us how marvelous the EU is.

No comments: