Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How to reform MPs allowances

OK - we all agree that MPs who have a constituency outside of London need somewhere to stay when parliament is sitting and a reasonable living allowance - but we also agree that they are out of touch with reality. So here's a way to solve two problems in one go.

First, buy up a number of flats in the worst sink estates dotted around London and plonk them in there. The flats will be owned by the local council and maintained in the usual local authority way.

Second, give them a weekly allowance which they consider reasonable - equivalent to a single person's pension. If it's enough for a pensioner's total income it's more than enough for an MP's expenses.

Third, tax them exactly the same as they tax us. No exemptions.

That should bring them back down to earth.

1 comment:

Letters From A Tory said...

As would sending those who fiddled their taxes to jail.